Goran Ivanisevic has confirmed he is no longer coaching former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina amid an ongoing investigation into another one of her coaches.
Ivanisevic, who has previously worked with the likes of Novak Djokovic and Maric Cilic, confirmed on Tuesday that he will not continue working with Rybakina after their trial period came to an end. He originally joined her camp during the off-season with the two training together before heading to Australia. The decision comes a day after the world No.7 spoke vaguely about their future collaboration.
“After our trial period that finished with the Australian Open, I wish Elena and her team best of luck moving forward.” Ivanisevic wrote on social media.
Ivanisevic’s partnership with Rybakina was complicated due to her decision to bring Stefano Vukov back into her team, even though he is currently under investigation for breaking the Tour’s code of conduct. Vukov served as the principal coach of the Kazkh until hours before last year’s US Open when they abruptly parted ways. Three months later it was confirmed by the WTA that he had been suspended but the details of the investigation are confidential. Rybakina has insisted that her mentor, who has previously been criticized for his behavior, hasn’t done anything wrong.
“I don’t agree with a lot of things the WTA do in the sense of my relationship with Stefano,” Rybakina told reporters on January 11th.
“As I said before, I have never made any complaints or any of these things.
“I always said that he never mistreated me. That’s one thing.
“Since this situation how it is now, I don’t really want to speak about this more. I want to focus on my matches here.”
According to The Athletic, which was the outlet that first broke the news of Vukov’s suspension, Ivanisevic considered quitting his role before the start of the Australian Open. It is alleged that the Croat was caught off guard by Rybakina’s decision to publically announce the return to Vukov on social media. He was eventually persuaded to continue his role at the Grand Slam by the tennis star, according to multiple unnamed sources who spoke to The Athletic on condition of anonymity.
As to when the investigation into Vukov will conclude, there has been no formal announcement. Although it is expected to be relatively soon and potentially before Rybakina’s next tournament will be during the first week of February in Abu Dhabi.
Ivanisevic hasn’t commented on what he plans to do after ending his work with Rybakina.